Thursday, November 10, 2016

Undefined


There will come a time in life where you are constantly labeled and placed in boxes without your approval. Being labeled has simply become a way of life, unfortunately. People love to come up with their own ideas of how one should speak, dress, act, etc. in order to be ‘perfect’. We are simply living in an unrealistic illusion where every being on this earth is not perfect yet some love to take it upon themselves to teach you how to be perfect? Constantly being told you have to change the things that make you who you are is just a bit overwhelming- okay not a bit overwhelming, very overwhelming!

 Change is inevitable but it has to come naturally. No one can teach you how to change yourself, only you can! You have to take time out for yourself and decide on what you feel needs to be changed from within. From my experience, changing for others instead of yourself has never been beneficial in any way. Often times, people will tell you to change things about yourself to benefit them while passing it off as if they are looking out for you! I have personally vowed to never change for anybody other than myself because of that reason but that’s not the only reason. Another reason is because I simply wasn’t happy about it. I felt as if I wasn’t able to truly be myself; I was being something I was not. 

Honestly, you will learn in this game of life, there is only a small percentage of people who truly have your best interest at heart. Another thing you will learn is that the only person who would truly look out for you through thick and thin is YOURSELF! I refused to be labeled by other’s standards and in the process I not only learned to accept myself but I was also inspired to make a movement for myself as well. A movement in which I identify myself as being undefined. I no longer live by other’s standards and I no longer entertain anyone else’s opinion on me and the things that I do unless I feel it is beneficial for me. Self-reflection has taught me to love myself unconditionally no matter what! 



Photographer: William Britton
Most importantly, self-reflection has taught me that I am NOT perfect and like everyone else, I am a work in progress. Finally putting your foot down and not submitting to being what society wants or feels you should be is a BIG step. You will most likely be misunderstood and even hated but if by me staying true to myself is what will trigger hate in others, who needs the love? All in all, it is up to the individual to figure out if being free from society’s standards is worth it to themselves or not. Will you lose yourself or will you be undefined?

No comments:

Post a Comment